Wednesday 1 May 2013

Early Morning Doodling

I don't really like waking up early but today thought I would put this quiet time to good use. A couple of days ago I found an old layout book in my studio. Purchased years ago, as shown by the price tag, it has languished on the shelf of "this will be useful one day". Well it's time has come.


It is now my quilting pattern doodle book.

I find it useful to draw out patterns before quilting them so that my hand, eye, brain and sewing machine can work together. Working the pattern on paper gets the flow of the design into my head. I also get to know where the problem points are and can try to overcome them before stitching. I hate unpicking and this saves some time. 


In the past I have just used scraps of paper and then discarded them after use but no more. I want to build a quilt library for myself and this is the first part of the process, although if you read the previous post you will know that I have already started quilting some of the patterns.



One of the patterns was a open vermicelli design with added hearts, the above is a doodle for one with flowers. I think the scribble between the flowers and hearts is too much and distracts from them so have doodle a much looser pattern. The only problem with this is the hearts all face the same way, it certainly would show which way the quilt was meant to be hung.  This needs more thought, so time for another cup of tea.




Happy Stitching

Bev

1 comment:

  1. This has inspired me to start keeping a note book of my own - at least it will give me somewhere to stick all those little bits of samples I seem to end up with!

    ReplyDelete