Sunday 5 May 2013

Meet Scrappy

I don't have a pretty bird nesting in my garden. 


Meet Scrappy 

A rather bedraggled blackbird who looks like he's seen a few seasons. Very little tail and damaged eyes he's not the prettiest thing on the block.


 He is very valiantly building a nest though and I have just spent the last hour in the garden watching him.


He is quite fearless and comes to the feeder for mealworms which is only about 1.5m from where I am sitting. Now,  if I come out into the garden he's there letting me know he wants his tasty snack. He also chases away other birds if they are showing too much interest in the feeder.


His chosen nest site is the clematis which has just started blooming this last week. You can see the entrance on this photo. 


He flys to the roof of my studio with a mouth full of nesting material, lines himself up and launches himself at the gap he's made. He had so much moss in his beak that it took him two attempts.


He has been collecting moss from round the pond, stopping for the occasional drink and dip to freshen up.

Not a stitching blog today but hope you enjoyed meeting our feathered friend.

Happy stitching (later today)

Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment